Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Runner's Runner !!

I am not a Runner, so I keep wondering “Why am I running the Marathon?” The first Half Marathon I ran was the 3M Half Marathon and Relay. While running someone commented “We are doing this coz we love PAIN”. Oh well…Not me…Heck No….I hate PAIN. I am someone who doesn’t like to get hurt or pain at all…well…no one really likes it….but I have absolutely Zero tolerance for pain. I love my Hair…and running means I have ‘Bad Hair Day’ almost 3 to 4 days a week….how about that? I am sweaty and smelly and cold after all my workouts and long runs. With all these inconveniences and pains…again…”Why am I doing this?”

I keep asking myself “Why?” and I get different answers. It all started with, I wanted to find out my Physical strength…my stamina. I wanted to check if I am capable of such patience and endurance. I knew I can never do something like this all by myself…so I convinced my Husband, Gautam to do it with me….he wasn’t very sure….but he took it up for me….he started it coz he wanted me to succeed in my goal. I love him for that.

Initially I hated it all. I remember my first long run on a Saturday morning….we reached the Runtex center where it starts and there were all these people and smiles and enthusiasm…I just fell in love with it all….just the feeling that I am part of it all made me Ecstatic. I think that is one of the main reasons I didn’t give up. I love it when people are encouraging you, running with you, motivating you. There is no competition; we all are in this together. We are in this for each other. It is simply amazing.

My first Half Marathon started with energy and enthusiasm. The crowd flowed together and everyone was happy to just be there and be a part of it all. First few miles just passed….there were people on the streets motivating us….children Hi-Fi’ing…..it was great. After around 11 miles, I was dead tired and didn’t feel like I could continue….and then it happened….I saw few of my friends waiting at the 11 Mile marker with tissues…..isn’t that amazing? Just when I needed it….they were there to cheer us up and pull us through it all….they were there to run with us and support us at our most difficult Final Mile….I drew energy and strength from them….their presence pulled me through…..We started our last mile with all our heart and strength…..then came few more friends and family to cheer us….our Coach, Holly was there too…..it all made it worth it….it all was amazing….. :)

I run for all the people, who are there to cheer for me. I run for all the Runners, who are in this with me. I run for my Gautam, who is running for me. I run for my Family, who is proud of me. I also wanted to give this all more meaning by associating this with a good cause. So, I am also running for AID now. I want to do my share by raising some money for this foundation that works for the underprivileged. I am running the “AT & T Half Marathon” on 17th Feb 2008, please support my cause.

http://www.runforindia.org/runners/sumita

No comments: