Monday, February 18, 2008

My Marathon 101 !!

It all started 8 months ago....and it all went well....not juss well but fantastic....health wise everything worked out perfectly.....otherwise, with some difficulties like nagging knee pains, ankle pains, lack of sleeping late on saturday mornings, missing out late nites on friday evenings, everything was alright....till the Friday before the D-Day....

Do you know what Bad luck is? Let me explain....as I happen to be the receiver of Bad lunck since forever.....when you desperately want something....it is almost in front of you and you raise your hand to grab it....and Puff....its gone....juss like tat by magic....reasons can be anything from Harry Potter doing some magic tricks to you cutting your hand by throwing it on a knife....Bad luck has always happened....sometimes i hate to desire....coz my sub-conscious keeps telling me that it wont happen for me.... :(

Something similar happened with my Marathon....Friday before the Sunday morning Marathon, I started feeling it.....my Bad Luck creeping on me....started with a mild throat irritation and body ache....and by night fall I was down with 101.5 fever.....my sub-conscious was saying "Told you so..."....I couldnt beleive it....after all the pains and all the energy I had put in....this was happening to me....first instinct was to throw a fit and just shout....I did that for a little while....then it came to me....I have always succumbed to by Bad Luck....and I have never even thaught about standing up to it or at least trying....this time....I decided....no matter what....I am not going to fall for my sucky luck....I am running the Marathon.....no matter how I do..... :) ....Saturday went by....we were watching the Ironman 2007 on CNN....it was a most inspiring and appropriate show for me in tat condition.....One person who has both prosthetic legs swam for 2.4 miles, cycled for 112 miles and ran for 26.2 miles to become an Ironman....watching tat wat amazing.....I kept telling my self.....if he can overcome such a huge difficulty.....101 is nothing....nothing at all.....

Sunday morning....was a little better.....fever was down to 98.3 as opposed to 101.7 on saturday nite....so was a little happy about it.... :) ....we started the Half Marathon around 7:00 am on Sunday morning....the start line was the only time I smiled.....it was a struggle and very very difficult....the consolation was Gautam on my side.....I walked most of the 13.1....holding Gautam's hand....I dont think I was in any condition to even walk a mile....but I did it....and Gautam pulled me through it..... :)

On the way, we met a 60 year old Stroke survivor.....he was like "If I can do it, u sure can do it"....some one commented...."hey hey, No making out on the course"..... :) .....I wont say it was a fun Run for me.....but it had its Perks.....As we were nearing the end....again all our near and dear supporters were there to cheer us.....I did it....I achieved the unthinkable and unachievable for me....I even sprinted the last block to finish my 13.1....My Marathon 101 !!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My god Sumi! This one made my cry! good for you and great on Gotu. You are a very lucky girl and I might just have to forgive him :)